(Really good)
Skeleton corpsing on a budget
by Riley Cameron

Contact the spooks at Spooky Blue  | Guest Haunters | S. Blue Halloween ProjectsHome

Riley turns a cheap $8.00 plastic skeleton into this horrifying rotting corpse.  Neat!
Click images for a closer look
First I cut out all the "extra" plastic to make the skelly look more like a human instead of a mutated alien.  Then, a little tip that I got from TS books, (great books - buy them!!) I got out some of those white stretchy cobwebs and CUT them into little sections.  The reason I cut them is because if you try to tear them, they get real stringy, and if you cut them, they separate nice and loosely.  Then I got a small dish and filled it with latex paint (a little trick I learned on MOM) instead of the usual and highly expensive liquid latex!  Then I dipped the small pieces of cobweb into it and totally soaked it.  After I pulled it out and it was done dripping, I stretched it and put it on the skeleton body. I continued with this until I achieved a desired effect.  Then, WAIT!  I would let it dry about 3 days before the next step - AT LEAST!

Then, I did bust out the liquid latex (only used a small amount) and smeared some on over top of the "flesh" parts) This gives a glossy surface for the finish to go over creating a wet and disgusting look!!

Finally, probably the easiest and most rewarding part of the project was the finishing.  The ONLY thing I used was a small amount of Mahogony (I think that was the color) wood finish.  No airbrushing, no detail painting!  I just slapped the first coat on (literally slapped - you should see my basement floor!) then put a few more dabs on the "MEATY" parts, and that was IT!!  Let dry for about 3 days and you got a real cheap corpse!  For an even grosser effect - I didn't do this on mine - spray some gloss enamel over it and then some more wood stain - REALLY WET AND SICK look!

A few other pointers - If you look closely at my pics, I left the top arm bone on, but took the lower arm bone off.   Yea I know, real technical - HA!  To make the lower arm, I combined some other people's ideas and made them all work together.  I made a wire armature - very quickly, not detailed - based off a medical book.  Then I used a combination of paper and masking tape built up to form the bones and rotting fingers and knuckles.  I then just corpsed it like mentioned above.  This helped tremendously, because in an arm, there are two bones, not one in your lower arm - the attention to detail really stood out and I highly recommend that step.  OR, for a quicker alternative, you could just cut out the middle section of the lower arm and masking tape it up.

Finally for the skull...Now I must admit, I did cheat a bit with it, but lets call it time management!!  A while ago I purchased a pretty realistic foam filled latex skull and I decided that I wanted something similar to corpse.  So, not using any common sense, I first thought of making a clay replica and making a mold.  Then, I got smart and decided to just use the bought skull to make a mold.

Make good looking, cheap foam skulls

This is just the bought version of the foam filled latex skull that I casted.  I chose this instead of a bucky skull because it isn't near as detailed, doesn't have any undercuts, has a flat bottom, and still looks pretty cool.

Here you can see the first layer of silicone on the face.  Before this was applied, I put a light layer of handsoap on the face to make it easier to take off.  The red is where the clay divider was.  It is about 1/2 in. thick.

The second layer is plaster that is poured and smeared over the silicone.  This will allow the silicone to hold its shape while making a mold.

Here is the first layer on the back of the skull after the clay divider is removed (the red should have been on the last pic as well, I guess I got lazy.) It is silicone just like I put on the front. The next step, (no pic) is to just put the plaster on the back like I did to the front. Separate the two halves, let dry fully, reconnect, and squirt about 3/4 full of great stuff.

This is just a picture of the foam I used (Great Stuff) and a picture of the finished product. 

Just another shot of the unpainted finished skull ready for the corpsification process or anything else your sick and twisted heart desires!!
I sat the skull down (it had a flat bottom) on a piece of plywood and secured it with some hot glue.  Then I smeared liquid hand soap over the whole skull lightly with a brush.  Then I made a piece of clay that was about 2 inches high and 1/2 in thick and made a divider wall to split the front half from the back half. Then, sticking with my penny pinching methods, I bought 4 tubes of home repair 100% SILICONE caulking.  I then smeared that into every nook and cranny until it was about 1/2 in thick all the way around.  Then I put plaster of paris over top of that.  there is an excellent and MUCH more helpful how to on www.vilethings.com check it out!

Next I removed the clay divider and repeated the process on the other side.  When dry, I had 2 separate pieces that, when put together, formed a skull mold.  Buy some great stuff foam, spray it in and let it dry.  Pull the 2 halves apart and you got a realistic looking skull that's ready for the corpsing process. And really cheap, I might add!!